Friday, March 14, 2014

Targus-8 Section 42 Inch Travel Tripod (TG-42TT)

I have two of these tripods now. I have to say these compact tripods are very convenient. When they collapse, they can easily fit into a backpack or even large handbag. The compact factor is what really makes it easy to deal with. I haven't such luck with trying to fit any other tripod into my back pack. The tripod is very lightweight and won't weigh down your bag either. In addition to being lightweight and portable, they are very sturdy and durable. They won't break as easily as other tripods in this price range. I've had so many small cheap tripods fall apart or break very easily. I even had one tripod literally break within a few minutes of taking it out of the box.

Now the negatives. It's kind of a pain in the ass to expand and collapse the legs. In order to do so you must pull out each level and then twist until it locks. If you fail to do this then you won't be able to fully expand your tripod. It can be very frustrating and annoying. I actually prefer placing it on a table top or other another sturdy base so that I don't have to worry about expanding and collapsing the legs. Also, since the tripod is so lightweight, it can easily be knocked over when fully expanded. I actually had an incident where I set it up in the back of the room to record a concert event and some kid came along and knocked it over. That was partly my fault for leaving it unattended. Just as expanding the lets can be a pain in the neck, so can collapsing the legs. You must twist the lets to collapse them and this is time consuming.

Other than the beef I have with expanding and collapsing the legs, I really like this product. It's cheap and effective for quick shoots with either video or still camera. Overall I would recommend this tripod for anyone that wants to have a tripod available without having to lug around a bigger tripod. If you are going for a hike or backpacking around a busy city, then this is a great tripod for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment